Ingredients belonging to the chili family are blessed with a compound called capsaicin that imparts them their pungency. When used in conjunction with dairy products like yoghurt, milk or sour cream, the effect of capsaicin is toned down leading to a pleasant experience for the palate.
Also, a great choice of dairy product to pair with the chili family is Greek-style, fruit flavored yoghurt especially that of Mango flavor from Danone India. It has a sublime sweet-tart flavor, 87%more protein than the regular yoghurts, is low on fat and devoid of any artificial colors & flavors. In addition it packs in probiotic species of bacteria that improve our gut health.
Thus, drawing inspiration from the above facts I decided to churn out a Chilled Bell Pepper & Yoghurt Soup to cool off during the approaching summer. The soup is easy, flavorful and promises to be low on calories as well:
Here is how the recipe goes:
Makes 2 soup bowls (Approx 200-225 ml)
Prep Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Refrigeration Time : 60 minutes
Red Bell Pepper - 200 gm (1 large sized)
Onion - 60 gm (2-3 small sized)
Garlic - 25 gm (4-5 medium sized cloves)
Mango Flavored Danone Greek Style Yoghurt - 100 ml
Vegetable Stock - 200 ml (Use ready-made stock or boil vegetables like carrots, green peas & cauliflower in water & use the left over water as stock)
Oil - 10 ml (2 Teaspoons)
Salt - 1.25 gm (¼ Teaspoon)
Crushed Peppercorns - 2.5 gm (½ Teaspoon)
Chili/ Spice-infused oil - 5 ml (Optional) (1 Teaspoon)
Fresh green coriander (finely chopped) - 1.25 gm (¼ Teaspoon)
1. Preheat the oven at 180°C.
2. Dice all the onions into 4 chunks & bell pepper into 8 chunks.
3. Now, coat the garlic cloves, onion & bell pepper chunks with oil and roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes by raising temperature to 200°C. All the ingredients should soften and develop a mild charring at the end of this cooking time. (Alternatively you can also roast the ingredients on stove top directly on low flame.)
4. Cool the roasted ingredients for 10 minutes.
5. Now, puree the ingredients along with vegetable stock in a mixer or using a hand blender till you obtain a thick, smooth mixture.
6. Stir in the salt, crushed peppercorns, yoghurt and mix well.
7. Place this puree in a bowl in the chiller for 60 minutes.
8. Before serving drizzle with chili oil and fresh green coriander.
The advantage of this recipe is that you can prepare ample amounts of soup and store in refrigerator for use as and when required.
So, do try out this recipe & let me know how it turned out.
Till then, HAPPY COOKING...
- Food & travel enthusiast