BOMBIL (BOMBAY DUCK) FRY
If you are dining out at numerous seafood restaurants in Mumbai, you will come across the mention of bombil fry on the menu. The bombil is termed as BOMBAY DUCK in English for reasons unknown. Thus, people who are unfamiliar with this name might think of bombil as some sort of a duck, but in reality it is a kind of fish.
And how do I like to consume this fish? Well, I like to fry it to yield a crispy appetizer that tastes simply delicious.
So, here is my recipe for bombil fry:
1. Clean the fish well and cut them into 2-3 pieces each.
2. Now in a bowl mix the fish with all ingredients except suji and oil.
3. Marinate the fish for 10 minutes in this spice mix. Place the fish in the refrigerator while it is marinating.
4. Start heating oil in a pan to deep fry the fish.
5. Remove the fish from the refrigerator and rub it in suji so that it has an even coating of suji all around it.
6. Now deep fry the fish over medium flame for 2 minutes till it gets a crispy coating and lovely rich color.
7. Serve hot with fresh mint chutney or simply squeeze few drops from a lemon wedge before eating.
Hope you have liked the recipe. Do try it out in your kitchen and let me know how it turned out.
Till then, HAPPY EATING...
Leave a Reply.
- Regional Indian Food & Travel enthusiast